Calico Beans – (Slow Cooker Recipe )
It is very tasty and inviting on a cold winter day, or at a barbecue. You will not be slaving over the stove mixing it endlessly, since once you are done with all the prep work, it cooks slowly on its own, in the slow cooker. The smell of fried bacon, and barbecue sauce, plays games with everyone’s taste buds.
- 1 lb. Bacon (pork or turkey)
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 1 Onion – chopped
- 1can Kidney Beans
- 1can Baked Beans
- 1can Great Northern Beans
- 1cup Ketchup and smoky flavored Barbecue Sauce
- 2Tbs. Brown Sugar
- 1Tbs.White Vinegar
- Fry bacon in a frying pan.
- Remove fried bacon from pan, cool, break it apart, set aside.
- Remove most of the fat from the pan (or all of it, and use a little bit of oil).
- Add chopped onion and sauté it until golden.
- Add ground beef and simmer it until no longer pink.
- Fill a slow cooker vessel with all the beans, bacon, beef and the rest of the ingredients.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste (may add more salt if needed after it is cooked).
- Cook covered on low for 3 hours, or on high for 1 1/2 hours.
This recipe resembles a mild chili dish, but with a more pronounced barbecue flavor. Tastes great with a fresh piece of bread.