My family and friends often share recipes of their newest creations, since they know that I absolutely love trying these out as well.
Today I will share a recipe for Antipasto Squares , recommended by a friend.
It is a very simple dish to prepare, and quite tasty, but I would not consider it light in calories.
Antipasto Squares make an interesting addition to a brunch menu, or as a Super Bowl party appetizer.
The original recipe calls for Salami and Olives, but since I do not like either of these ingredients, I added green peppers and tomatoes instead. These ingredients can easily be substituted with your other favorite meats, cheeses and vegetables, or even make it a vegetarian dish.
My version of this recipe is posted below, for you to try out, and please share your comments.
- 2 packages of Crescent Rolls ready-made crust
- 1/4 lb. boiled ham
- 1/4 lb. Provolone Cheese, sliced
- 1/4 lb. Pepperoni, sliced
- 1/4 lb. Swiss Cheese, sliced
- 1 large Red Pepper, roasted (I used 1 jar of Pimento, sliced to strips)
- 1 large Green Pepper, roasted, cut to strips
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 5 Tbs. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Basil Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- Pam cooking spray, or Crisco shortening, to grease the pan
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan with Pam cooking spray, or Crisco shortening, and set aside.
- Open one package of Crescent Rolls dough, and unroll onto the bottom of the greased pan. Pinch dough together at perforations, to form a solid bottom layer.
- Layer ham evenly over the dough.
- Place Provolone cheese slices over ham.
- Layer Pepperoni over the Provolone cheese.
- Place Swiss cheese slices over Pepperoni.
- Top off with Red and Green Pepper strips.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning, Basil and Onion powder.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbs. of Parmesan grated cheese.
- Spread sliced tomatoes, then sprinkle with ground Black Pepper and Garlic Powder.
- Pour beaten eggs over the top of the casserole.
- Top off with 3 Tbs. Parmesan grated cheese.
- Cover with second sheet of Crescent Rolls dough (no need to pinch dough at perforations, to help the steam to escape during cooking)
- Cover with aluminium foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and bake 25 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake 13 minutes longer, until the middle is set, and top is lightly browned,
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Also suitable to store in a refrigerator for a day or so, or wrap it well and freeze it for a later use.
- To reheat, use regular oven, toaster oven, or even a microwave.