I am on a soup cooking kick, as the cold winter weather is getting to me already.
We don’t have much snow here, but the cold, windy days are just as bad.
This time I cooked up a large pot of quite delicious Italian Sausage and Kale soup.
As always, I will share my recipe with you, to warm up your heart and spirit for the next 6 weeks of winter….:-)
This recipe yields 8-10 servings.
Serve it as is, or with 2 Tbs. of cooked pasta, or a slice of hot garlic bread.
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage link
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 can (15 oz) cannelloni beans, rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups Kale, chopped (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, reduced fat, shredded
- 2 cups cooked pasta (rotini,elbow, small shell) -optional
- Fill a 6 quarts pot with broth and water, and bring to boil.
- Add 1 tsp. olive oil into a frying pan, and saute the Italian Sausage, 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove and cut into chunky slices, and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions into the same pan and saute 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Return the sausage back to the pan and fry another minute with the onion and garlic, stirring frequently.
- Scoop out the sausage and onion mixture into the pot of broth.
- Pour in the tomatoes, rinsed beans, and spices.
- Bring to boil.
- Add chopped Kale, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot, as is, or with 1-2 Tbs. of cooked pasta, and or garlic bread.
- Garnish with shredded mozzarella cheese.
You may use Turkey or Chicken Sausage, in place of Italian Sausage.