Chicken/Turkey Croquettes (Cutlets) – Recipe
When I roast a whole chicken for the two of us, I end up with three meals out of that one bird.
First night we have the roasted meat, next day I make Chicken Salad, or Chicken Pot Pie, out of half of the leftover meat. On the third day I am still able to make these Chicken Croquettes (Cutlets), which I usually end up freezing, because who wants to eat chicken for three days straight.
I use the leftover bones (with some remnants of meat on them), plus the leftover juices in the roasting pan, and some vegetables, to prepare a great soup stock. You can even freeze it for later use, or make it into a tomato, or vegetable soup.
This recipe makes 4-6 medium size croquettes.
- 2 cups chicken meat, or leftover turkey, cooked and cut up
- 1 medium onion, chopped and sautéed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4Tbs. canola oil
- 2 Tbs. of flour
- ¼ cup of water, or chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Canola oil for frying
- Heat 2 Tbs. of canola oil in a saucepan.
- Add chopped onions, shredded carrot, and chopped celery.
- Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and add to chopped up chicken.
- Add 2 Tbs. canola oil to the sauce pan, heat again.
- Add 2 Tbs. flour, and sauté, stirring constantly, until slightly golden.
- Add ¼ cup of water, bring to boil, and continue to mix.
- Add to chicken mixture.
- Add chopped parsley, egg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
- Form oblong croquettes.
- Dip both sides in seasoned bread crumbs.
- Let rest for a few minutes, until the oil is ready for frying.
- Fry lightly 5 minutes per side.
Tip: I serve these croquettes with garlic and parsley mashed potatoes, home made gravy, and a fresh vegetable.
Great way to use up that leftover turkey meat from your Thanksgiving feast!!!!