Poppy seeds are used in many food preparations, in cooking and baking. Dried poppy seeds are not exactly something one would like to snack on, but once used in breads, cakes, salad dressing, etc, it enhances the texture and flavor of the dish.
I personally like onion rolls sprinkled with poppy seeds, Poppy Seed Cake, and Poppy Seed Roll (Zavyvanets – in Ukrainian).
Today I will share a recipe for a Poppy Seed Cake.
This recipe is quite easy, since it calls for a can of ready made Poppy Seed filling, unlike when my mom was baking with poppy seed, she had to prepare her own filling from scratch, which was a long process.
She cooked the poppy seeds, then she drained it well, then grind it twice on a fine blade. After that she would flavor it, and finally it was ready to be used for baking.
Aren’t you glad Solo does all this hard work for us? I sure am!
I also would like mention that this cake is not very tall. It rises taller during baking, then drops during cooling, to about 1 1/4 inches.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 can (12.5 oz) Poppy Seed Filling (by Solo)
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Set the egg whites aside.
- In a large bowl, add 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Beat well until light and fluffy (it will resemble vanilla pudding).
- Add in oil, and mix well.
- Mix in the Poppy Seed filling.
- Add milk and Vanilla extract, and mix one minute longer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda and baking powder.
- Gradually mix it into the batter.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold into the batter, evenly.
- Preheat the over to 325 degrees F.
- Grease well a 9 x 13 x 2 sheet cake pan, and dust it lightly with flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and cool in the pan, for 10 minutes.
- Invert it from the pan onto a wire cooling rack, to cool completely.
- Cut into serving pieces, and dust the tops with powdered sugar, before serving.
TIP: Please note the adjusted picture, in case you printed out the original post where I mismatched the picture from a different poppy seed cake recipe (Fancy Poppy Seed Cake).
- Fancy Poppy Seed Cake – Recipe
- Recipe and Picture Mismatch – I Stand Corrected.
- Coffee Cream Cake – Recipe
- Apricot Sheet Cake – Recipe
- Delicious Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting- Recipe
Tagged with: Best Poppy Seed cake
, Eastern European recipe for Poppy Seed Cake
, Poppy seed
, Poppy Seed Cake
, Solo filling
, Solo Poppy Seed Filling
, Ukrainian Poppy Seed cake