Ukrainian Festive Walnut Torte – Recipe
Ukrainians pride themselves on baking the best tortes, and Walnut Torte is one of the most traditional ones.
I was a lucky recipient of this torte from my daughter’s kitchen, for this year’s birthday.
She found this particular recipe on Katya’s Homepage, a few years ago, but did not have a chance to test it, until this year. Lucky me!!
Tortes require time and patience, as you can see from reviewing this recipe, but it is a labor of love, and well worth the effort.
This torte was absolutely delicious, and I am very proud of my daughter, as she did a beautiful job baking, and decorating it, for my special day.
I encourage you to give it a try, and you will love as well.
- 10 oz. walnuts, finely ground
- 3 Tbs. walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 12 large eggs, separated
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mocha Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 6 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1 ½ Tbs. coffee liqueur (optional)
Coffee Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. instant-coffee granules
- ¼ cup confectioner sugar, sifted
- Combine the ground walnuts, flour, cornstarch, and baking powder.
- Set aside
- In a large bowl, place the egg whites and salt.
- Beat to stiff peaks, and set aside.
- In another large bowl, place the egg yolks and beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the granulated sugar and continue mixing for about 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes thick and fluffy.
- Mix in 2 tsp. vanilla, and set aside
- Sprinkle the walnut mixture over the yolk mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites, until combined.
- Prepare two round cake pans by lining the bottom with a circle cut out from parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper bottom and the sides of the cake pans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cake centers spring back to touch, or do the toothpick test, and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan, by running a knife around the pan sides.
- Invert the cakes onto a wire rack to cool. Remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cakes.
- Cool completely.
Mocha Frosting Directions:
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, chocolate, vanilla, and 1 ½ cups confectioner sugar.
- Beat until creamy.
- Alternately add the coffee, liqueur, and the remaining 4 ½ cups of confectioner sugar.
- Continue to beat until fluffy.
- Set aside.
Coffee Cream Filling Directions:
- In a medium bowl, combine heavy cream, instant coffee, and ¼ cup of confectioner sugar.
- Beat to soft peaks.
- Split each round of torte in half diagonally, making 4 even disks.
- Place one cake disk on a cake platter (with the uncut bottom down).
- Spread ¾ cup mocha frosting over the top.
- Follow with a third of coffee cream.
- Place second cake disk on top, and repeat with frosting and cream.
- Repeat with third cake disk.
- Place the last caked disk on top, and spread the remaining mocha frosting on top and sides of the torte.
- Decorate with the chopped walnuts.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.