Homemade Chicken Pot Pie – Recipe
In my case, it was the latter, since I had some leftover chicken meat from our Roasted Chicken dinner.
I am a very frugal person, and do not throw away food I already paid for, plus spent time preparing, so I create new meals out of leftovers.
Poultry is one of my favorite meats to cook with, so you will be seeing many more of my favorite chicken recipes.
I made my own pie crust for this recipe, but you may also use a ready made pie crust ( one 15 oz. package of the refrigerated pie crust).
Ingredients for Pie Crust:
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, cold, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbs. cold water ( 1/3 cup)
Directions for Pie Crust:
- Place the flour on a work surface.
- Add shortening, butter, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender (cutter), cut in the cold butter and shortening into the flour, until it resembles peas size pebble mixture.
- Gradually add cold water, and continue cutting it in with the pastry blender (or you can pulse it in a food processor, until ball of dough forms). I also kneaded it for a minute, to get a ball of dough.
- Do not overwork the dough, or it will get tough.
- Divide dough into two balls (2/3 – for the bottom crust, and 1/3 – for the topping)
- Place in a zip-lock plastic bag, and place it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, while you are preparing the filling.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 2 -3 cups of cooked chicken meat, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, chopped (click here to check out my favorite garlic chopper)
- 3 Tbs. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth ( fresh, canned, or made out of chicken bullion and water)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, or milk
- 16 oz of frozen peas and carrots ( I also used 1/2 cup of frozen corn)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 egg yolk (for egg wash)
- 1 Tbs. water (f0r egg wash)
Directions for Filling:
- Saute the chopped onions in butter, for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped garlic, and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Mix in the flour and thyme.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the cream/milk, and cook for 2 minutes, continuously stirring to make a smooth paste, as it will thicken.
- Remove from heat, and mix in the chicken, frozen vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Remove the pie crust dough from the freezer.
- Lightly sprinkle work surface with flour, and roll out the larger piece of dough, to form a circle, at least 1 inch larger than the pie dish (11 inches in diameter).
- Place the pie crust dough into an ungreased pie pan and press it down lightly to fit.
- Trim off any dough hanging over the pie pan.
- Pour in the filling.
- Set aside.
- Take the smaller dough ball, roll it out on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut into 1/2 inch wide strips, using a pizza cutter.
- Lift gently each strip, twist it and lay it, one by one, on top of the filling.
- Repeat the process again, by laying these twists across the top of the previous layer, and shown above, forming a lattice design. Use any remaining pieces, twisting, and laying them around the rim of the pie pan.
- Prepare egg wash by beating the egg yolk and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the pastry twists.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet (to catch any run off sauce), and bake for about 45 minutes, until the crust is golden, and the filling is bubbly. If the crust is browning too fast, you may lay a piece of foil paper over it.
- Remove from the oven.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes, before serving, to let the filling settle, and firm up.
- Cool completely, if storing in the refrigerator for later use.