These Mini Apple Pies look so adorable, elegant and delicious.
I highly recommend them, as an easy and interesting dessert after a fulfilling meal.
All you need is few basic ingredients for the crust, couple of Granny Smith apples, and you are ready to roll.
This recipe yields 12 cupcake size mini pies.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups of flour (I use unbleached)
- 3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks), cold and cubed
- 4 Tbs. ice water
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 4 medium apples (Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, etc)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. corn starch
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
Pie Crust Directions:
- In a medium bowl, cut the cubed butter with flour, using a fork , or pastry blender. You can also work the butter into the flour with your hands, then finish it with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add sugar, and work it in.
- Add ice water, and mix by hand to form a ball of dough.
- Place the finished dough in a sealed plastic bag, and refrigerate for at least an hour, or even over night.
- While the dough is resting in the fridge, prepare the apple filling.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, and cut into two pieces (3/4 and 1/4).
- Place the 3/4 of the dough on a floured sheet of parchment, or waxed paper.
- Place another piece of parchment or waxed paper over the dough.
- Roll out the dough into a very thin (2 millimeters thickness) rectangle.
- Using a round biscuit cutter (4 inch in diameter), cut out 12 rounds.
- Fit the rounds into ungreased cupcake tins, and press them gently to fit the cups.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of each mini pie crust.
- Generously fill each mini pie crust with apple filling.
- Take out the remaining dough from the fridge, and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper to a very think rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut thin strip, to use to construct a lattice design over the top of the apple filling.
- Brush the tops of the pie crusts with egg wash (egg yolk beaten with water), or milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F, for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
These are cute and absolutely yummy.
Directions for Apply Filling:
- Peel the apples. Remove the seeds and seed nests.
- Dice the apples, and place in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with the white sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, corn starch and flour.
- Toss gently, to coat the apples with dry ingredients.
- Fill cupcake mini crusts.
I am sure you will absolutely LOVE the deliciousness of these very personal, mini apple pies.
They are equally delicious warm, as well as cold.