Posted by Suburban Grandma in All Recipes, Casseroles, Life, Meatless dishes
If you need a break from savory breakfast food, and wish to spoil your taste buds with something sweet, enjoy this cream cheese and blueberry stuffed french toast.
The Original recipe is pinned on my Pinterest board, however the one I am posting is improvised slightly, to suit my taste.
This breakfast dish is very moist, full of flavor, and simple to prepare.
It yields 4 servings.
- 1/2 loaf of french bread, sliced to 1/4 inch slices then cubed
- 4 oz. 1/3 fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 cup milk
- zest of 1 orange (or lemon, if your prefer)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon (split in two)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
Directions for French Toast casserole:
- Prepare this recipe the night before. Cover and refrigerate. Bake it next day.
- Grease (I used butter) 9 x 9 glass casserole dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the cubed french bread, over the bottom of the casserole.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of blueberries over the bread.
- Drop cream cheese cubes all over the blueberries (see photo above).
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, syrup,vanilla, zest, 1 tsp. of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture over the first layer of french toast.
- Cover with remaining cubed bread.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over the top of the casserole and sprinkle with 1tsp. of cinnamon.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate over night.
- Next day, preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Place the covered casserole dish in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Serve with prepared blueberry topping, which may be prepared day before, or while the toast is baking.
Directions for Blueberry Topping:
- Mix sugar with cornstarch in a medium saucepan.
- Add water. Bring to boil, and cook until thickened (about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add blueberries and cook few more minutes, stirring continuously until blueberries burst and form a smooth sauce, with few whole blueberries still remaining.
- Remove from heat, mix in butter, and set aside until ready to serve.
- For best results, serve it warm.
All baked, and ready to enjoy with blueberry topping, or maple syrup.
- Varenyky with Blueberry Filling – Blueberry Dumplings -Recipe
- Blueberry Coffee Cake – Low Fat Recipe
- Lemon-Blueberry Drop Scones – Recipe
- French Onion Soup – Recipe
- French Roast – Crockpot Recipe