Posted by Suburban Grandma in All Recipes, Casseroles, Chicken, Life
Another wonderful, and simple, chicken recipe to prepare for your family and friends.
One of my co-workers enjoys cooking and sharing recipes, hence this recipe for Caprese Chicken with Bacon.
She found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine. She was very pleased with the preparation simplicity, taste of the dish, and wonderful presentation, so shared her experience with me ( the word is out that I love trying new recipes….).
I followed the original recipe, but decided to pound the chicken breasts lightly, to make them thinner, and cut them in half to form smaller portions.
I personally prefer to start my meal with smaller food portions on my plate, and have the choice of having a second helping if I choose to do so.
You, however, might decide to keep the chicken breasts whole, to have larger portions.
- 8 bacon strips (I cut mine in half after baking)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I pounded mine, and cut each in half, making 8 portions)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (my addition)
- 1 plum tomatoes sliced (I used large tomatoes)
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced (I used 10)
- 4 slices fresh Mozzarella cheese (I needed 8 slices – 8 oz ball of fresh mozzarella)
- Olive oil to brush tops of chicken
- Place bacon in an ungreased backing pan 15 x 10 inch (I used glass Pirex casserole dish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and bake it for 10 minutes, without turning it over.
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside (I used kitchen scissors to cut my bacon strips in half, as I needed more pieces of smaller size).
- Place chicken breasts in an ungreased 13 x 9 backing pan (I used the same pan I was baking the bacon in, but used paper towels to wipe off the bacon grease, before placing the chicken in it). I placed the chicken with the skin side down (the skin was removed of course).
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place a slice of tomato on each meat portion, and sprinkle with chopped basil leaves.
- Place the bacon, side by side (as I did), or crisscross as they suggested, if you have whole breasts and whole bacon pieces.
- Bake it uncovered at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until the inner temp of the meat reaches 165 degrees F.
- Top each meat piece with slice of fresh mozzarella, and bake for a minute longer to partially melt the cheese.
TIP: This dish is best served fresh, but leftovers are still good, warmed up in the oven.
- Crispy and Moist Baked Chicken – Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu – Recipe
- Ukrainian Chicken Paprikash – Recipe and Technique
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie – Recipe
- Chicken/Turkey Croquettes (Cutlets) – Recipe
Tagged with: bacon
, Best chicken recipe
, Caprese Chicken
, chicken breast
, chicken breast recipe
, Chicken Caprese with Bacon
, Chicken with bacon
, Delish chicken breast
, Fresh Basil
, moist and tasty chicken recipe