Celebrating my daughter’s Birthday always involves CHOCOLATE and salted CARAMEL…..she loves this combination.
I wanted to try a new recipe, rather than baking the same cake third year in a row, and found these very easy Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes, with salted caramel frosting, via picture on Pinterest.
You may check out the recipe on the original site, but I will also list the ingredients and directions, since I made some minor adjustments.
This project could not get any simpler, since even though it requires some work from scratch, the main ingredient for the batter is Devil’s Food Cake Mix from a box.
Sometimes it is good to welcome in some simplicity to complete a special project, and to share it with all of you.
This is my daughter’s most favorite Birthday Cake, Chocolate Cake with Fleur De Sel Caramel. Click on this link to view the full recipe.
Now lets get back to the Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes.
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 small box of Jello Chocolate Fudge instant Pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use Canola)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large mixer bowl, place all the above ingredients.
- Beat on medium speed about 2 minutes, until well incorporated.
- Line 2 cupcake pans with cupcake liners (I used 22 liners).
- Fill each liner with about 1/4 cup of cake batter.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and set aside to cool off.
Salted Caramel Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (I used 1/8 tsp)
- 2 -3 cups powdered sugar, sifted (I used 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 22 chocolate chip morsels, for decoration (optional)
Directions for Salted Caramel Frosting:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, and heavy cream, and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Add salt and vanilla extract (if using).
- Once it begins to boil, forming bubbles, cook for 1 minute, continuously stirring.
- Remove from heat, and cool completely (I poured it into two soup bowls for faster cooling).
- Pour the cooled caramel syrup into a medium mixing bowl, reserving 2 Tbs to drizzle over frosted cupcakes.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing well until creamy.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Drizzle frosted tops of cupcakes with reserved caramel. I also placed a chocolate chip morsel on top of each frosted cupcake, as a special touch.
These cupcakes were one moist chocolaty goodness, topped off with a perfectly salted caramel frosting.
My daughter was very happy with this selection, even though it was not a close match to her favorite cake.
- Chocolate Cake with Fleur De Sel Caramel Filling – Recipe
- Cupcakes – January Selection
- Delicious Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting- Recipe
- Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes – Skinny Recipe
- Cocoa Cake With Peanut Butter Frosting – Recipe
Tagged with: brown sugar
, Chocolate Cake with Fleur De Sel Caramel
, Chocolate Fudge cupcakes
, Devil's Food Cake Mix
, Easy Caramel
, Homemade Caramel Frosting
, Moist Chocolate cupcakes
, Salated Caramel Frosting
, Salted Caramel