Cocoa Cake With Peanut Butter Frosting – Recipe
It’s time to celebrate yet another birthday at the office. I have volunteered to be the “cake baker” , but the birthday celebrant has to select his/her favorite cake. Sometimes I even ask them to provide me with their favorite recipe, and I will do my best to create a cake. This time the selection was a chocolate cake with lots of frosting.
Since I really love this Cocoa cake with Peanut Butter frosting, which several years ago my manager made for my birthday (she loved gourmet cooking), I decided to use that recipe.
It is the combination of the chocolate cake and the peanut butter frosting that makes this cake so decadent, as it reminds you of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.
Ingredients for Cake:
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1 ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Directions for Cake:
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 round baking pans.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Beat 1 min. at medium speed.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add alternately with water to creamed mixture, beating after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes for 8 inch rounds, or 30 to 35 min. for 9 inch rounds, or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 min.
- Remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- Frost the cake with creamy peanut butter frosting.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Directions for Creamy Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, peanut butter, and butter, until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix well until well blended and creamy.