Strawberry Meringue Sheet Cake – Delicious Eastern European Recipe
Strawberry season is still here, making it easy to prepare a bunch of delicious strawberry desserts.
Today I will share an Eastern European recipe for a very simple, super moist, and very refreshing Strawberry Meringue Sheet Cake.
For best results, I recommend serving this cake the same day, or next day, at the latest.
It is very moist at room temperature, but does firm up while refrigerated.
I prefer serving it at room temperature.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 1/2 cup white sugar + 3 Tbs.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. extract (I used rum)
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- Place the flour, salt, and baking powder on a work surface.
- Using a spoon, make a well in the middle of the pile of flour mixture.
- Mix in egg yolks and extract. Keep the egg whites refrigerated for now.
- Add 3 Tbs. sugar, and cubed butter.
- Mix all ingredients, and knead with your hands, to from a ball of soft dough.
6. Divide the dough into 3, gradually smaller, balls.
7. Cover, and keep refrigerated until it firms up, or over night.
8. Line a 9 x 13 baking sheet with parchment paper (large enough to cover bottom and sides.
9. Take the largest ball of dough, and shred it on a large eye grater, to cover the bottom of the baking pan.
10. Spread strawberries over this layer of dough. Smooth them out to form an even layer.
11. Take the medium dough ball and shred it over the strawberries.
12. In a medium bowl, mix the egg whites until frothy, then add 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until soft peaks form.
13. Spread the meringue over the strawberries, and smooth it out evenly.
14. Take the last dough ball and shred it evenly over the meringue.
15. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
16. Bake for 35 minutes.
17. Remove from the oven, and rest the cake, still in the pan, on a cooling rack.
18. Using a butter knife, loosen up the cake around the edges, and cool it completely.
19. Cut it into serving pieces, and arrange it on a serving platter.