Posted by Suburban Grandma in All Recipes, Casseroles, Meatless dishes
Green Peppers are one of those vegetables that taste great raw, or cooked. I like all color peppers, green, red, orange, yellow, as a raw vegetable used in salads, or with dips. I also would like to share this recipe for peppers served hot, as a main meal, or a side dish. Peppers, like cabbage rolls, may be stuffed with meat, or vegetable stuffing, so I selected the vegetable stuffing for this recipe.
- 4 green peppers
- 3 Tbs. onions, chopped
- 2 Tbs. canola oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the peppers under warm running water.
- Cut a slice from a stem end of each pepper (about ½ inch thick).
- Remove the core, white veins, and seeds.
- Fill a medium size pot with water and bring to boil.
- Place the peppers, and the tops, into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers and cool.
- Arrange peppers in a shallow baking dish.
- Sauté chopped onions in canola oil to a golden color.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Mix the rice and mushrooms, and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the rice filling.
- Place the pepper top slices over the filling.
- Pour ¼ cup of vegetable broth into each pepper, and pour the remaining broth into the pan.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees F, for 30 minutes.
TIP: If you prefer to stuff peppers with other vegetables, rather than mushrooms, then you might want to use tomato juice in place of the vegetable broth, to
enhance the flavor. I personally do not like the combination of tomato juice and mushrooms/rice filling.
- Stuffed Peppers with Bulgur and Turkey – Recipe
- Ukrainian Meatballs with Mushrooms – Recipe
- Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms and Sauce – Quick and Inexpensive Meal
- Marinated Mushrooms – Recipe
- Roasted Mini Sweet Peppers – Recipe
Tagged with: Green Peppers
, Stuffed Peppers