Avocado Egg Salad – Light Recipe
I personally like small quantities of Hellmann’s Light Mayo in my salads, but some of our family members do not like mayo at all, so I am on a lookout for mayo alternatives.
Today I created a light version of egg salad with Avocado and Greek Yogurt.
I used Light Style Pepperidge Farm 7 Grain bread, which has only 45 calories per slice.
What a great sandwich it turned out to be. Yum!
This recipe yields 1 sandwich.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 avocado, cubed
- 1 Tbs. Plain Greek Yogurt (or Light Sour Cream if you don’t like yogurt)
- 1 1/8 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs. chopped chives
- 1 tsp. chopped dill weed (or cilantro if you prefer)
- 1 tsp. chopped red pepper (or tomatoes)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Place 2 eggs in a sauce pan filled with enough cold water to cover the eggs.
- Bring to boil and cook until done (check out this link for perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs).
- Peel cooked eggs. (I like to crack the hot egg shells with the back of a spoon, then cover them with very cold water, to cool them off for few minutes, which makes the shell practically fall off the egg during peeling).
- Cut eggs into small cubes, and set aside.
- Cut out 1/4 of an avocado, peel and cube as well.
- Add avocado to eggs.
- In a small bowl add the Plain Greek Yogurt, chopped Chives, Dill, chopped Red Pepper, vinegar, salt and black pepper.
- Mix all together.
- Fold into the egg and avocado mixture.
- Serve on your favorite bread, with lettuce leaves, or sliced tomatoes, or both.