My favorite pancakes are Pan Apple Fritters (pancakes), made from scratch, without using any premixed pancake flour.
My children make these for their families and friends, and now one of their friends suggested to use buttermilk and chocolate chips, hence this recipe today.
Actually I did some research regarding the substitution of buttermilk for milk in recipes where baking powder and baking soda are used.
This is what I found out:
substituting buttermilk for regular milk when using baking powder, as it upsets the balance of alkali to acid.
As a result, I removed the baking powder from my original recipe, and increased the baking soda in this recipe as buttermilk is substituted for regular milk.
You are welcome to check out the original recipe for Pan Apple Fritter (click on the highlighted link at the top of this post), for tips and cooking technique.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups Buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or less, as per your taste)
- 1/2 chocolate chips, or chunks (or more if you like)
- Vegetable oil for frying (I use canola oil)
- Sift the flour with salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Beat the egg with sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix in melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix in the buttermilk.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to incorporate. Under mix rather than over mix.
- Using a spatula, fold in chocolate chips.
- Heat 2 Tbs vegetable oil on medium heat (see TIP)..
- Drop about 2 heaping spoonfuls of pancake batter onto hot oil, spacing them about 1 inch apart, so they don’t stick together during cooking.
- Fry a minute or so, until you see air bubbles forming on top of pancakes, then breaking up leaving small craters, and the edges are getting lightly browned.
- Flip them over to the other side (away from you, using a spatula, to prevent splattering on yourself), and fry a minute longer.
- Remove from the pan onto paper towel, to soak up any extra oil.
- Serve these hot, with your choice of syrup, jam, or hot chocolate fudge.
- I served mine with hot chocolate fudge AND maple syrup……yum!
TIP: To test your oil for readiness, once you see the oil begins to move round slightly, drop a small drop of batter on the pan and if it starts to sizzle and bubble around it, the oil is hot enough for frying.
You may also choose cooking spray over oil.
- Pan Apple Fritters (Ratsushki)- Recipe
- Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies – Recipe
- Delicious Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting- Recipe
- Buttermilk Waffles – Recipe
- Chocolate Scotcheroos – Recipe
Tagged with: best pancakes.
, buttermilk and chocolate milk pan fritters
, buttermilk pancakes
, chocolate chip pancakes
, Homemade pancakes
, pan fritters. buttermilk and chocolate chip pancakes