Recently I had a very tasty Eggplant Rollatini at a dinner with friends, and would like to share the recipe with you today.
It is a very simple dish to prepare, especially if you use the store bought tomato sauce. It is also light in carbs and calories, as I am not using any breadcrumbs, and low fat ricotta cheese.
If you have the time to stand by your stove to prepare your own sauce from scratch, more power to you, but I will share that recipe next time, when I actually make the sauce myself.
This recipe is prepared from one medium size eggplant, and yields 12 pieces of rollatini.
- 1 medium eggplant
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil for frying
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese, low fat
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided in half
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Basil seasoning
- 1 tsp. Oregano seasoning
- 1 Tbs. Italian Parsley, freshly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups of tomato sauce ( I used Prego Traditional Pasta Sauce)
- Rinse the eggplant under running water, and dry it off.
- Cut off the bottom and top of the eggplant.
- Slice off a sliver of each side of the eggplant, lengthwise, and discard those pieces.
- Slice the rest of the eggplant into 12 slices (lengthwise), about 1/8 inch thick each.
- Arrange slices side by side on a large platter, and sprinkle with kosher salt on both sides. Let them rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the salt under running water, and pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, and fry eggplant slices for about 2 minutes on each side, to a light golden color.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Set aside, or cover and store in the fridge, to be used the next day to finish the preparation.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the filling by mixing the Ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and basil.
- Place at least one heaping tablespoon of filling over each slice of eggplant, and roll it up toward the opposite end, forming a roll.
- Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce over the bottom of a 8 x 8 casserole dish, and arrange eggplant rolls, side by side, seam side down, keeping them as tight as possible.
- Spoon the rest of the sauce over the top of the rolls, and sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let them cool slightly, and serve.
Still great the next day, as leftovers, re-heated in a microwave.
- Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna – Passover Recipe
- Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms and Sauce – Quick and Inexpensive Meal
- Homemade Fresh Tomato Sauce – Recipe
- Zucchini Casserole – Vegetarian Recipe
- Light Ranch Coleslaw – Vegetarian Recipe
Tagged with: Best Eggplant Rollatini
, Eggplant Rollatini
, Low Carb recipe
, Prego Tomato Sauce
, Vegetarian recipe