Posted by Suburban Grandma in All Recipes, Cakes, Cookies, Health, Life, Saving Money
I have been on a lookout for healthier version recipes of baked goods.
Most of us have a “sweet tooth”, which needs to be satisfied from time to time, so we strive to accomplish this without too much guilt, and try healthier recipes.
To be honest with you all, I prefer the regular recipes so much more, with all the butter and sugar, but reality hits home, when the lbs on the darn scale keep on creeping up…..so the good old saying comes to mind, “If you can’t have the original, you have to settle for a copy”.
These scones are very tasty, full of fruity flavor, and the lemon glaze balances it all very nicely.
I found the original recipe for Skinny Scones via Pinterest, but modified some ingredients, hence my version in this post.
These make a great snack, or a wonderful breakfast on the go.
This recipe yields 16 scones.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granular sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried Apricots, chopped
- 2 Tbs white chocolate chips
- 2 Tbs dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
Mix the powdered sugar with the lemon juice to for a thick glaze. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line two baking pans with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and lemon zest.
- Cut the butter to small chunks and work them into the flour mixture with your fingers, to form a crumbly mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the Almond Milk with the unsweetened apple sauce.
- Add half of this mixture to the flour mixture, and incorporate it evenly.
- Fold in the chopped dried fruits, and chocolate chips, as well as the remaining milk mixture. Do not overmix.
- The dough is kind of wet and sticky.
- Flour your work surface, and your hands.
- Form two even dough balls, and place them on the flowered work surface.
- Flatten each, to form two round disks, about 1.5 inches thick.
- Cut each disk into 8 wedges (just like a pizza pie).
- Lift off from the work surface, and place each scone on the parchment lined baking sheets. They will not spread much, so no need to allow too much space between them.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes, and drizzle scone tops with the lemon glaze.
- Lemon-Blueberry Drop Scones – Recipe
- Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes – Skinny Recipe
- Decadent Chocolate Banana Bread – Recipe
- Layered Brownies – Recipe
- Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies – Recipe
Tagged with: apricots
, Chocolate chips
, dried fruits
, fruity scones
, healthy breakfast on the go
, Healthy snack
, homemade scones
, skinny recipe
, skinny scones