Varenyky with Blueberry Filling – Blueberry Dumplings -Recipe
Filled Dumplings, Varenyky (in Ukrainian), or Perogy (Pierogi – in Polish), are absolutely delectable, and there are myriad of filling choices to select from.
Yes, I will dedicate a separate post to introduce you to recipes of several different fillings.
Today I will share my recipe for Blueberry Filled Varenyky, which are so delicious served with blueberry syrup and whipped cream, or brown sugar mixed with melted unsalted butter, and topped with heavy or whipped cream.
My mom served her blueberry varenyky sprinkled generously with sugar, and “swimming” in heavy cream, as whipped cream was not available that time in Europe. My dad LOVED them this way as his summertime lunch.
Blueberry Filling Ingredients:
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. Corn Starch (or white all-purpose flour)
- Place blueberries in a colander, and rinse under running water.
- Remove any remaining stems.
- Let the water drip off.
- Place blueberries on a paper towel to absorb any remaining water.
- Place blueberries in a medium bowl, add sugar and corn starch.
- Toss them gently to coat evenly with the sugar/corn starch mixture.
Please click on my previous post for dough ingredients, and the step-by-step preparation instructions.
- Please note that for the blueberry varenyky, I do not cut out circles, but use a pizza cutter and cut 2 inch wide strips, then cut each strip across, to form 2 x 2 inch squares, as shown above.
- Then place 4-5 medium size blueberries in the middle of each square, fold the side over to form a triangle, pinch both sides together, well enough to encase the filling.
- Cook them the same way as in previous post.
- Overcooking will open them up, and the filling will boil out.
Instead of blueberries, you can use any other fresh fruits (strawberries, cherries, apples, plums, rhubarb).
Blueberry varenyky can be served as a meal in itself, or as a dessert.
I love mine topped off with a dollop of whipped cream. Yummm…