Veggie Burger – Recipe
I never thought I would like the taste of a veggie burger, so at first I purchased some frozen ones, Veggie Medley by Gardenburger , and realized that they were not as bad as I thought. Since I am not really a hamburger lover, veggie burger earned my approval.
I like making my own food at home, since it allows me to control what goes into it, and enables me to modify the recipe to my taste.
I looked up some recipes for veggie burgers, and came up with this modified version to fit The Fat Smash Diet.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
- 6 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 egg white
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat.
- Stir in corn, mushrooms, scallions, and bell pepper.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
- Add carrot and brown rice and stir to combine.
- Add egg white and season with salt and pepper.
- Add some quick oats or more brown rice, if the mixture does not hold together.
- Shape mixture into 6 disks and place on a plate.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in non-stick skillet and cook veggie burgers until golden on each side.
Tip: I like to eat these veggie burgers plain in Phase I and II, but in Phase III, there is a choice of whole wheat bread or whole wheat muffin to serve these on. Veggie Burgers, just like brown rice, are now part of my new food list, which I learned to enjoy.