Eggs in Nests – Super breakfast for a crowd
It is a well-known fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It provides your body with the necessary “fuel” to start your day.
As the old proverb states:
“Eat your breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and supper like a bird”….words of wisdom for sure.
Coaches and teachers always told us to get a good night sleep, and have a nutritious breakfast on the day of your game, or a test.
Today I will post a yummy breakfast recipe for those who enjoy a nutritious savory breakfast, but like to keep it on a light side.
This recipe yields 8 egg nests.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed (about 15 oz bag)
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbs. chopped onion (I used dried)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 8 medium or small eggs (large eggs will spill over)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 Tbs. Cheddar cheese, shredded, to sprinkle over egg tops
- 1 Tbs. parsley, chopped (my favorite is Italian Flat Leaf)
- 2 avocados, sliced to thin wedges just before serving
- In a medium bowl, gently combine hash browns, Cheddar cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, onion, garlic powder (I used a fork).
- Grease 8 cupcake cups of a cupcake pan (I used Crisco shortening).
- Fill each cup with 1/2 cup of hash brown mixture. Press it down firmly, then spread it evenly to line the bottom and sides of each cup, to form "nests".
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and bake 15 minutes, until the edges get slightly brown.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and crack one egg into each nest.
- Sprinkle the top of each egg with pepper, pinch of Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and chopped parsley.
- Return pan to oven, and bake another 12-15 minutes, or until the whites are fully set.
- Remove from the oven, cool for couple minutes, then run a knife around the edge of each nest to loosen it up, for easy removal.
- Slice the avocados into thin wedges, and arrange on a serving platter around the eggs in the nests.
- May serve as is, with toast, and or hot sauce.
These can be individually wrapped and frozen, for later use. Warm up in the microwave when ready do serve.