Ice Cream Cake – Recipe
Ice cream cake is my husband’s favorite cake, especially for his birthday. Every year we would buy a Carvel’s Ice Cream cake, but this year I decided to make one at home (for a fraction of the cost of Carvel’s cakes).
Making this cake was quite simple, since all the ingredients are ready made, and no baking is required. All I had to do is to assemble, freeze, and serve. The most laborious part of this project, was the unwrapping of the ice cream sandwiches.
- 14 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 ½ Quarts Vanilla Ice Cream (his favorite)
- 1 Quart Vanilla with Black Cherries Ice Cream (my favorite)
- 1 cup Vanilla Wafers, crushed
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches, one at a time, keeping the remaining ones in the freezer.]
- Cut 12 ice cream sandwiches in half, vertically. Leave two uncut for now.
- Place in a container, and return to freezer, to keep them from melting.
- Take the vanilla ice creams out of the freezer, to thaw slightly.
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter, set aside.
- Grease a 10 inch springform cake pan with butter.
- Cut a rectangular strip of parchment paper, 34 inches long x 3 inches high, to fit inside the cake pan to line the sides.
- Press the cookie/butter crumbs on the bottom of the pan.
- Take out the cut up ice cream half from the freezer, and arrange vertically against the sides of the pan, forming chocolate and vanilla stripes.
- Fill in gaps with additional vanilla ice cream.
- Place the 1 ½ quart of vanilla ice cream into a bowl, and mush slightly with a spoon to even out its consistency.
- Form a vanilla layer, by spooning the vanilla ice cream over the cookie crumbs.
- Smooth it out.
- Prepare the vanilla with black cherries ice cream as above.
- Spoon over the vanilla layer, and smooth it out.
- Remove the one unwrapped ice cream sandwich and cut vertically, into ½ inch thick slices.
- Decorate the top of the cake with these slices, to create a design.
- Cover the cake with a foil parchment paper, and foil wrap, and return it to the freezer.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving, for easier handling.
- Before serving, unwrap the cake, open the spring form, and remove sides, peel off the parchment paper from the sides.
May be served with hot fudge drizzled over the ice cream slices, topped off with whipped cream.