Sugar Cut Out Cookies – Recipe
I am trying very hard to keep my promise to you, and post all my cookie recipes I gave you a preview of on my Christmas cookies post.
Here is a recipe, I also adopted from Suzy, for Sugar Cut Out Cookies. I kept the recipe in its original form with the exception of decreasing the salt to ¼ tsp, and using only white sugar (I ran out of brown sugar). Also, I have chosen to decorate my cookies with colored sugar and sprinkles, while she beautifully frosted hers.
These Sugar Cut Out Cookies are very festive looking, and deliciously enjoyable
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt).
- Gradually add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix well, until the dough is firm.
- Divide the dough in two balls, place in a covered bowl, and cool in the refrigerator for an hour (I kept it overnight, for lack of time for baking).
- Take out one dough ball and work it with your hands to soften it a bit.
- Place it on a floured work area and roll it out to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Use your favorite cookie cutters, dip them in flour, and cut out cookies.
- Cover you baking pans with parchment paper, set you cookies on slightly apart from each other, to allow for expansion during baking.
- Decorate with colored sugar and sprinkles.
- Preheat oven at 375°F.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes, or until the edges appear golden brown.
- Remove onto cookie rack to cool.