Today I will share a recipe I recently tested, and loved, for Stuffed Peppers with Bulgur and ground turkey.
Ever since my Fat Smash Diet experience, I am really paying more attention to my eating style, and into wholesome foods. I still use white rice, breads and potatoes, but periodically try to alternate with other healthier substitutions .
I also realized that I stuff lots of the foods I prepare, such as cabbage rolls (holubtsi/golabki), chicken breast, Green Peppers, beef, varenyky (pierogi), and many other ones, which I have not posted yet.
I guess it creates a more filling food item, almost like having a whole meal in one, and adds to its presentation. Don’t you agree?
- 6 medium peppers (green, red, yellow, or orange)
- 1 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 cup Bulgur, uncooked
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup chopped onion (one small onion)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced (2 medium tomatoes)
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or ¼ tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tsp. oregano, ground
- 1 Tbs. olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 ½ cups water
- Put 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a large skillet, warm it up.
- Place the ground meat into the skillet, and brown it up (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently for even cooking.
- Add the bulgur to the meat, and sauté until browned (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently, to prevent burning (the bulgur wheat makes a lot of crackling sounds, while cooking).
- Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes tomato sauce, oregano and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Mix well.
- Add the water, cover the saucepan, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until all the water is absorbed.
- Uncover, and mix in 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese, until melted.
- Prepare the peppers by, removing the tops and seeds. You can use whole peppers, but I sliced some of my peppers in half, lengthwise, and used only the bottom half of the red pepper (as these were very long). Fill a medium pot with water (enough to cover the peppers – about halfway full). Bring to boil.
- Place the peppers in boiling water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from water, and drip off any excess water.
- Place peppers in a casserole dish.
- Fill with bulgur/meat filling.
- Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar Cheese on top of each pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake peppers, uncovered, on the middle oven rack, for 20 minutes.
- Remove, and serve.
TIP: You can easily make a vegetarian version of this recipe, by substituting the meat with veggies (shredded carrots, zucchini, celery, mushroom, etc)