These dumplings are almost a complete meal in itself, since you have the potatoes, the meat, plus add your favorite gravy, or a savory tomato sauce, and dinner is ready.
My sister shared a bunch of new recipes with me, so I will also share them with you, as soon as I test them out, and include some pictures to show them off.
These dumplings are very tasty, and the leftovers are great reheated in the microwave.
You may serve them with your favorite gravy, sauteed onions in butter, sauteed bread crumbs in butter, or a savory tomato sauce.
I made my own tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes from my garden.
This recipe yields 32 dumplings, slightly larger in size than a golf ball.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (about 10 medium size potatoes)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Wondra flour
- 2 Tbs. corn starch
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. Canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 1 lbs. ground meat (I used turkey for this recipe, but chicken, beef or pork may also be used)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp. Sage
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Basil
- 2 Tbs. Flat Leaf Italian Parsley, chopped
- 4 Tbs. bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Directions for the stuffing:
- Add 1 Tbs. butter to a frying pan, and saute the chopped onions for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for a minute longer, stirring often.
- Add the ground meat and continue to saute, until fully cooked, stirring continuously to break it up.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley and sage.
- Remove to a medium bowl, and mix well with 1 egg and bread crumbs, to make stuffing.
- Set aside to cool, then form into 32 meatballs, about the size of a walnut.
Directions for the dough:
- Peel the potatoes, cut in chunks.
- Rinse and place in a pot of cold, salted water.
- Bring to boil and cook until done (about 20 minutes).
- Drain the water, and add 1 Tbs. butter.
- Mash well, until smooth, and not lumpy.
- Set aside.
- Place the mashed potatoes on a floured work area.
- Mix the all-purpose flour with the corn starch and Wondra.
- Make a well in the middle of the potatoes, and add the flour mixture.
- Add 1 egg, one egg yolk, salt and oil.
- Mix it all up, to create a soft and satiny dough.
- Let the dough rest 5 minutes, covered with a tea towel.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough into a long rope, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Use a sharp knife, and cut the dough rope into 32 slices, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using floured hands, and working on a floured surface, form each slice into a thin circle (less than 1/8 inch thick).
- Place one prepared meatball in the middle of the circle and bring edges together to seal, then roll between the palms of your hands to form a ball.
- Set aside on a floured surface and repeat the process until all the dough and filling are used up.
- Meanwhile, fill a pot with salted water, and bring to boil.
- Place several dumplings (no more than one layer once they float up to the top) into the boiling water, and gently stir with a wooden spoon, or spatula.
- Bring to boil again, and once they float to the top, cook for at least 8 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon into a bowl of cold water, and leave them in there for few minutes to cool off. Then pour out into a colander, to drip off.
- Repeat the cooking process for the remaining dumplings.
Serve warm with your favorite gravy (mine favorite is mushroom – center picture). The above serving suggestions also include sautéed bread crumbs in butter, garnished with chopped parsley, or sautéed onions in butter, garnished with chopped dill weed.
- Potato Balls (Knedle) – Vegetarian Recipe
- Ukrainian Meatballs with Mushrooms – Recipe
- Stuffed Whole Cabbage – Eastern European Recipe
- Potato Dumplings (Palushky)
- Steamed Fruit Dumplings – Recipe and Technique
Tagged with: delicious meatballs. best meatballs dinner
, Eastern European recipe for dumplings
, faszerowane knedelki
, Filled dumplings
, filled knedle
, Ground Turkey
, Homemade tomato sauce
, Meat filled dumplings
, Meatballs in a blanket
, turkey stuffing for dumplings
, turkey stuffing for kendle