Italian Sausage and Kraut – (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
If you like sausage, and kraut, you will love this combination all in one meal.
Kraut takes a while to cook in a regular pot, but with a pressure cooker your meal will be ready in 15 minutes. My family enjoys this meal served with boiled potatoes, tossed with butter and dill.
- 4 – 6 short links of Italian Sausage (I prefer the mild flavor)
- 2 lbs. Sauerkraut (Silver Floss Barrel Cured Sauerkraut is my favorite brand)
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. celery seeds
- 1 cup of water
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker.
- Separate sausage links, rinse, and pat dry with paper towel.
- Brown sausage links in hot oil until golden on both sides.
- Remove sausage from cooker.
- Add chopped onions to the cooker, saute 2 minutes, and remove into a large bowl.
- Place the kraut in a colander, and rinse under running water for a minute (do not rinse out too much of the picking juices).
- Squeeze out excess water from the kraut.
- Add to the bowl with sauteed onions,
- Add shredded carrot, celery seeds, salt and pepper.
- Mix all to blend well.
- Place the steamer basket in the pressure cooker.
- Pour in 1 cup of water.
- Place the kraut in the basket, and top off with the sausage.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Secure the lid per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Bring it to pressure.
- Set your alarm at 15 minutes, once the steam begins to escape.
- Cool off the cooker immediately under a slow stream of running cold water, down one edge of the lid and side of the cooker.
- Remove the lid per manufacturer’s instructions.
Remove the sausage and set aside. Discard the bay leaves. Remove the kraut into a serving dish and mix with the remaining broth in the cooker. Top with sausage. Garnish with celery springs. Serve with boiled potatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper, melted butter and dill.
For a new twist to this recipe, I substitute smoked pork chops, for the Italian sausage.