Italian Sausage and Kraut – (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
If you like sausage and kraut, you will love this combination all in one meal.
Kraut takes a while to cook in a regular pot, but with a pressure cooker, your meal will be ready in 15 minutes. My family enjoys this meal served with boiled potatoes, tossed with butter and dill.
- 4 – 6 short links of Italian Sausage (I use Sweet Italian Sausage, a mild flavor)
- 2 lbs. Sauerkraut (Silver Floss Barrel Cured Sauerkraut is my favorite brand)
- 1 large carrot – grated
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. celery seeds
- 1 cup of water
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker.
- Separate sausage links, rinse, and pat dry with paper towel.
- Brown sausage links in hot oil until golden on both sides.
- Remove sausage from cooker.
- Add chopped onions to the cooker, saute 2 minutes, and remove into a large bowl.
- Place the kraut in a colander, and rinse under running water for a minute (do not rinse out too much of the brine).
- Squeeze out excess water from the kraut.
- Add to the bowl with sauteed onions,
- Add shredded carrot, celery seeds, salt and pepper.
- Mix all to blend well.
- Place the steamer basket in the pressure cooker.
- Pour in 1 cup of water.
- Place the kraut in the basket, and top off with the sausage.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Secure the lid per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Bring it to pressure.
- Set your alarm at 15 minutes, once the steam begins to escape.
- Cool off the cooker immediately under a slow stream of running cold water, down one edge of the lid and side of the cooker.
- Remove the lid per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove the sausage and set aside.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Remove the kraut into a serving dish and mix with the remaining broth in the cooker.
- Top with sausage.
- Garnish with celery springs.
- Serve with boiled potatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper, melted butter and dill.
For a new twist to this recipe, you may substitute smoked pork chops, for the Italian sausage