Jello Cheesecake – No Bake Low Fat Recipe
My sister, who lives in Krakow, shared several Eastern European recipes with me, which I will prepare, and post for your enjoyment.
Today I will share a No Bake recipe for a Low Fat Jello Cheesecake, which is very simple to prepare, presents itself very nicely, and it is refreshingly delicious.
Jello Cheesecake is much lighter than a traditional cheesecake, and to make it even lighter, you may use 1/3 less fat cream cheese, which I tested on one of the layers, and it held up as well as the regular cheese.
I used regular jello since I do not like the taste of sugar-free jello, but you might want to try the sugar-free if you wish. My selection of jello leaned towards a citrusy flavor, but you may choose a more fruity one.
I decorated my cheesecake with blueberries and grapes, but any fruits may be used, or left out altogether.
- 3 - 8 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese (regular or light)
- 4 cups of water, separated
- 1 - 3 oz package of Orange Jello
- 1 -3 oz package of Lime Jello
- 1 - 3 oz package of Lemon Jello
- 1 - 3 0z package of Strawberry Jello
- 1/8 tsp. Orange Extract (to add to Orange Jello)
- 1/8 tsp. Lemon Extract (to add to Lemon Jello)
- Fruit of choice for garnish (I also used few fresh mint leaves)
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring-form cake pan, and set aside.
- Pour 1 cup of water into three different saucepans, and bring to boil
- Pour the Orange Jello into one of the pots, the Lime into another, and the Lemon into the last one.
- Turn off heat, stir until the sugar is dissolved, add extract, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix one 8 oz package of cream cheese, until creamy.
- Add the first jello, once it is partly set, but still has the consistency of yogurt.
- Beat in with the cheese until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Pour this jello/cheese mixture into the spring-form pan, and smooth it evenly with a spatula, or a spoon.
- Place it in the fridge to set.
- Meanwhile work on the second package of cheese and next color jello, and set aside, and do the same with the third cheese and jello.
- Remove the cake pan with jello from the fridge and spread the second cheese/jello mixture over the first one, and place it back in the fridge to cool.
- Then do the same with the third cheese/jello mixture, and place it in the fridge.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a sauce pan, and prepare the Strawberry Jello, same way as the ones above.
- Set aside to cool off to room temperature.
- Now it is time to decorate the top of the Jello Cheesecake with fruits, if you wish.
- Gently pour the cooled Strawberry Jello over the fruits, and return to the fridge for couple of hours to fully set before serving.
- Before serving, remove it from the fridge, run a knife around the edges of the cake close to the side of the pan, to loosen it up.
- Remove the sides of the spring-form cake pan, but leave the cake on the pan bottom, and place it on a serving platter.
- For easier and cleaner cuts, dip your knife in a warm water, before slicing the cake.
It is a wonderfully refreshing dessert on a hot summer day, or anytime of the year, and for any occasion.