Posted by Suburban Grandma in All Recipes, Cakes, Cookies, Desserts, Life, Saving Money
This fresh fruit filled sheet cake is so light and airy, it practically melts in your mouth.
The cake is light not only in texture, but also in calories, due to no butter or sour cream, unlike many other delicious recipes.
Great recipe for beginner bakers, as it is quite simple to prepare, easy to slice, and really tasty.
Excellent as an after meal dessert, or a wonderful accompaniment to a refreshing cup of tea of coffee.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup Canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used unbleached)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh fruit of your choice (I used 8 Red Plums sliced into eight wedges)
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- pinch of cloves, ground
- Line a 13 x 9 x 2 baking sheet with parchment paper. Use Crisco to grease parchment paper bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 340 o F.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until they begin to fluff up (about 2 minutes).
- Gradually add sugar, and keep on beating.
- Add one egg yolk at a time, and continue beating.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture (I used a spatula).
- Scoop out into the prepared baking sheet, and smooth it out evenly with the back of a spoon, or a spatula.
- Arrange cut fruit on top of batter, to evenly cover it.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves (you may use other spices to complement the fruit of your choice)
- Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 -45 minutes.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Lift out the baked cake with parchment paper onto cooling rack, to cool completely.
- Cut into serving pieces, and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- Apple Sheet Cake – Recipe
- Seven Layer Honey Sheet Cake – Recipe
- Strawberry Meringue Sheet Cake – Delicious Eastern European Recipe
- Apricot Sheet Cake – Recipe
- Blueberry Coffee Cake – Low Fat Recipe
Tagged with: Fresh Fruit
, Fresh Fruit cake
, Fresh Fruit sheetcake
, Fresh Plums
, Low calorie fruit cake
, Low calorie sheet cake
, Plum sheetcake
, Very light sheet cake