Simple Chef’s Salad – Recipe
It contains all the main ingredients of any meal, without the guilt of eating starches, like potatoes, rice, or bread.
I grow many of my own vegetables, and this year I included a Green Leaf Lettuce, which is great on a hot summer day for making a quick Chef’s Salad for dinner.
I usually serve this salad with croutons, or a piece of garlic bread (I love bread…..no guilty feeling here…), and my favorite salad dressing for Chef’s Salad, is homemade Italian Dressing.
This is my home grown Green Leaf Lettuce, as organic as can be, since I use only organic fertilizer, and no pesticides.
Doesn’t it look fresh and appetizing? It tastes wonderful as well! It gives me a very good start for making a fresh salad.
This recipe yields 2 servings.
- 4 cups of fresh lettuce
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 slices of ham, or turkey (smoked ham, is my favorite), cut into strips or cubes
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 slices of red onion, sliced horizontally
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced, or diced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1 packet of Good Season's Italian All Natural Salad Dressing mix
- 1/4 cup vinegar, white or balsamic
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil, Canola or Olive
- Rinse and pat dry the lettuce leaves.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on 2 serving plates.
- Top with chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and ham.
- Arrange the egg wedges on top of that.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle chopped Chives on top of cheese.
- Pour 1/4 cup of Italian Salad Dressing over top.
- Sprinkle croutons, and serve, or prepare garlic bread.
- In tight fitting container pour water, oil and vinegar.
- Shake well.
- Add the one packet of Good Season's salad dressing mix.
- Close the container and shake well, so the flavors dissolve and mix.
- Pour dressing over salad.
You can also make a quick salad dressing with vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and your favorite dry herbs, in case you do not have the Good Season's salad dressing mix.