Fabulous Blueberry Sheet Cake – Recipe
When blueberries are in season and the prices are very affordable, I stock up and freeze them for later use.
Besides eating them fresh, adding them to pancakes, making filling for my varenyky (perogies), preparing smoothies, I also use them in baking.
I already posted several recipes for blueberry cakes, but today I will share my latest blueberry sheet cake recipe which I love, and I am sure you will enjoy it as well.
This recipe yields over 20 serving pieces.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbs. melted butter, for basting
- 6 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries (more if you wish)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl mix the sugar and butter, until creamy.
- Add the egg yolks, whole egg and sour cream.
- Mix well until creamy and lemon color.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Grease and flour a 12x18 cake pan.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, and spread it out evenly, using the back of a spoon dipping it in cold water from time to time, to prevent the batter from sticking to it.
- Brush the 2 Tbs. of melted butter over the top of the cake batter.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl toss the blueberries with cornstarch and sugar, until coated.
- Spread the blueberries evenly over the batter.
- Prepare the streusel crumbs, by combining all ingredients, mixing with a pastry blender, or by hand, until chunky crumbs are formed, then sprinkle it evenly over the blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees, on a middle rack, for 35 minutes
- Cool the cake in the pan.
- Cut into small serving pieces, and remove onto a serving platter
I used 8 cups (about 2.5 lbs) of blueberries in this recipe, but felt it was a little too much filling. Also, I actually prefer using fresh blueberries in this cake, over the frozen ones, because they are juicier once baked, where the frozen ones kind of get on a drier side during baking.
3 thoughts on “Fabulous Blueberry Sheet Cake – Recipe”