Diaper Cake – Centerpiece For Baby Shower
Last spring when I was planning a baby shower for my daughter, I searched for different themes and decorating ideas. I came upon this wonderful idea for a centerpiece….a Diaper Cake. I was so impressed by it, that I decided to make one on my own.
There are many selections of diaper cakes you can purchase (they range in price from $29.95 – $220, depending on the size of the cake, and additional decorations), but I liked the challenge of creating one of my own. After all, I had nothing to lose, even if the project failed, the diapers would still be usable. I would like to share my technique of creating a Diaper Cake Centerpiece.
- Box of size 1 diapers (at least 90 pieces)
- Cake platter
- 100 rubber bands (assorted sizes)
- Roll of paper towels
- 3 yards of ribbon
- Your choice of decorations (small baby toys and small baby items)
- Roll up one diaper at a time, starting at the top and tightly rolling down to the bottom.
- Wrap around twice with a rubber band.
- Set aside until you have enough for one layer.
- The base layer will require at least 30 rolled up diapers.
- Layer two – at least 25 rolled up diapers.
- Layer three – at least 19 rolled up diapers.
- Top layer – at least 10 rolled up diapers.
- These numbers might vary slightly, depending on how tight you roll them, and how large is your middle stabilizer.
- Remove at least half of the paper towels from the roll, to slim it down, since you will use it for the middle stabilizer.
- Start arranging rolled diapers around the bottom of the stabilizer, at least two layers side by side, so your base layer is at least 12 inches in diameter.
- Secure layer with a large rubber band.
- Repeat same process for second layer and third.
- If your middle stabilizer is too short, you can extend it by inserting bottle washers in the middle, or some thin, long toy, or rattles, etc.
- Measure enough ribbon to go around each layer plus extra to tie a bow (you may chose not to have a bow, especially if the shower is for a baby boy).
- You can strategically tuck into the ribbon around the cake, some small toys or baby items, as additional decoration.
- Select your favorite topper for your cake.
Voila….you are done, and your project is a success!!!
Tips: You can decorate the layers with additional baby items like rattles, pacifiers, wash cloths, socks, bibs, small toys, etc.
Stay tuned….additional baby shower posts are coming up!