Ukrainian Potato Salad (Olivie) – European Recipe
There are so many different versions of Potato Salad, but once you taste this one, it will be your favorite.
It is very similar to the Suburban Potato Salad, but it contains a few different ingredients, such as spicier mustard but no apple. In Ukraine many cooks add cubed smoked sausage (Kovbasa) to this salad, making it even richer in taste and texture.
This Potato Salad is very popular in Eastern Europe. I sampled it in Poland and Ukraine.
If pickles or mayo are not your favorite choice, you can still make this salad using lemon juice or vinegar, and Greek Yogurt. Of course, it will change the taste of the original recipe, but it will satisfy your taste buds.
- 5 lbs. potatoes (I used Red, but Russet or Yukon Gold are also suitable)
- 6 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 cups peas and carrots, cooked
- 2 pickles, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 Tbs. dill
- 2 Tbs. onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup Mayonnaise ( I used Hellmann's Light)
- 1/4 cup sour cream ( I used the Light version as well)
- 2 Tbs. Mustard (Gouldens Spicy, or Kosciushko)
- Salt and ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Rinse potatoes, and place in a large enough pot to fit them, and to cover with cold water to about 1 inch over the potatoes.
- Add 1 tsp. salt, bring to boil, and cook until done but still firm. Do not overcook.
- Drain the water, add cold water to cool them off.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel the skin off the potatoes, and discard it.
- Cut the potatoes to small cubes (size of a dice), place in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Peel the eggs and chop them up to small cubes (size of kernel of corn)
- In a medium bowl, add the chopped eggs, onions, dill, pickles and cooked vegetables.
- Using a spoon, toss gently to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, and salt and pepper.
- Fold the mayo mixture into the veggie mixture, then fold this gently into the potatoes, until evenly incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate for couple of hours, or overnight, for all the flavors to marry.
- Before serving, fold few times from bottom of bowl to top, to distribute the dressing evenly.
- Place in a nice serving bowl, decorate with some cooked peas, carrots, and fresh parsley, and serve.