Chocolate Scotcheroos – Recipe
If you need a quick snack, or a simple dessert, all you need to do is to reach out for a box of Cocoa Krispies Cereal, and whip up some tasty treats.
I usually make the traditional Rice Krispies treats, with melted marshmallows and butter, but when I noticed this recipe (on the cereal box), I really wanted to try it.
I liked the finished product, since as simple as it was to make, it tasted rich and delicious.
The addition of chocolate and peanut butter to the cereal, really kicks it up a few notches, and turns it into a nutritious, and a very tasty treat.
It makes a great school lunch snack, or a prefect after school treat, for your children, or grandchildren.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar (I used light brown sugar)
- 1 cup peanut butter (I used organic)
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels (I used dark chocolate)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips (you can also use peanut butter chips)
- Add sugar and corn syrup into a 3-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves, and mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter.
- Mix well.
- Gradually fold in Kellogg’s Cocoa Krispies cereal, until all well coated.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2 cake pan, with butter, Crisco, or cooking spray (I used butter).
- Spoon in the Cocoa Krispies mixture, and press down firmly, and evenly.
- Set aside.
- Add chocolate and butterscotch chips into a 1-quart saucepan.
- Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until all chips are melted, and blended together.
- Spread melted chocolate/butterscotch mixture over the cereal mixture, smoothing it evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Let it cool off, and firm up.
- Cut into serving pieces.