Sweet and Sour Coleslaw – Vegetarian Recipe
At first I was skeptical about the combination of the ingredients for this coleslaw, especially the use of pickles, and grapes.
I had a discussion with my niece, who is a Food Scientist, and she felt that it actually sounded pretty good.
She would have excluded the raisins (she does not like them), but I kept them in, and would have loved to add the walnuts, but did not have any in my pantry.
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded (about 1/2 of a medium head of cabbage)
- 2 medium red apples, cored and chopped (I used Gala, and shredded them)
- 1 cup red and green, seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped (I used Vidalia onion)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts , coarsely chopped
- 3 large dill pickles, peeled and shredded
- 1/3 cup low fat mayonnaise (I used Hellmann’s Light)
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs coarse grain brown mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine, cabbage, apples, onions, grapes, pickles, raisins, nuts.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and sugar.
- Add to cabbage mixture and lightly toss to coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and toss lightly.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or 2-6 hours, before serving.
Leftovers may be refrigerated in an airtight container, for 3 days or less.