Banana Bread Muffin Cakes – Recipe
I have been making Banana Bread in the past, but this time I wanted to make it into muffin cakes, so they are not as large as muffins, and no icing on top as for cupcakes…:-) They turned out wonderfully!
I used most of the ingredients I found online, but cut down on the sugar and added a little extract to slightly improve the flavor. Perfect snack to go with your morning coffee, or with a glass of milk for the kiddies.
This recipe yields 18 cupcake size muffins.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Mix the lemon juice with the milk and set aside (or use 1/4 cup of buttermilk instead, if you have it)
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat the egg yolks, butter, sugar and salt, until creamy and lemon color.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and the vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line the cupcake pans with 13 cupcake liners.
- Fill each 3/4 full with the prepared batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until the dry toothpick test. Cupcake tops will turn golden color and spring back when gently pressed on the top.