Blueberry Coffee Cake – Low Fat Recipe
A co-worker shared this recipe with me, and since the ingredients are so basic, it is easy to make this cake anytime.
I make it more often during blueberry season, since this fruit is priced more reasonably at that time.
This recipe calls for vegetable shortening, but you can also use butter or vegetable oil, depending on how low fat you wish to keep it. Same is true for the use of whole milk, or low fat milk in this recipe.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs + 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco), butter or oil
- 1-1/2 cups milk, whole or low fat
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup soft butter, or margarine (I use butter)
- Sift the flour withe the baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients, except blueberries.
- Mix well, to form a smooth cake batter ( 5 minutes).
- Fold in blueberries.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 x 2 sheet cake pan.
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees F.
- Pour cake batter into the pan, and even out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Prepare topping, sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Cool in the pan, before cutting.
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Cut in the butter to make a crumbly mixture.