Blueberry Sweet Bread – Recipe
This Blueberry Sweet Bread with a glass of milk makes a perfect after-school snack for your kids or grandkids. It is not too sweet and all those blueberries are so good for all of us.
My granddaughter gave it high marks, but my grandson expressed his preference for an apple cake.
Frozen blueberries were used in the above picture. Not too much difference in appearance, however, the frozen blueberries tasted sourer than the fresh ones.
This recipe yields one loaf.
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (I use Gold Medal unbleached)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tlbs. lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tlbs lemon juice (or few drops more to make a runny paste)
- In a medium mixing bowl sift the flour, add the salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the sugar, eggs and butter into a smooth paste.
- Mix in the lemon juice, milk, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients,until fully incorporated.
- Using a spatula, fold in the blueberies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degress F.
- Generously grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Pour in the batter into the greased loaf pan and smooth the top to distribute it evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, on a middle oven rack.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove it onto a cooling rack.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with lemon juice.
- Using a teaspoon scoop and drizzle over the top of the bread making stripes or squiggles.
- Cool off completely before slicing.
Frozen blueberries may also be used, but I rinsed them under warm water for few seconds, dried them off, dusted them with corn starch and 2 Tlbs. of sugar, before folding them into the batter. I preferred the fresh blueberries over the frozen ones.