Calico Beans – (Slow Cooker Recipe )
It is very tasty and inviting on a cold winter day, or at a barbecue.
You will not be slaving over the stove mixing it endlessly, since once you are done with all the prep work, it cooks slowly on its own, in a slow cooker.
The smell of fried bacon, and barbecue sauce, plays games with everyone’s taste buds.
- 1 lb. Bacon (pork or turkey)
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 1 Onion - chopped
- 1can Kidney Beans
- 1can Baked Beans
- 1can Great Northern Beans
- 1cup Ketchup and smoky flavored Barbecue Sauce
- 2Tbs. Brown Sugar
- 1Tbs.White Vinegar
- Fry bacon in a frying pan.
- Remove fried bacon from pan, cool, break it apart, set aside.
- Remove most of the fat from the pan (or all of it, and use a little bit of oil).
- Add chopped onion and sauté it until golden.
- Add ground beef and simmer it until no longer pink.
- Fill a slow cooker vessel with all the beans, bacon, beef and the rest of the ingredients.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste (may add more salt if needed after it is cooked).
- Cook covered on low for 3 hours, or on high for 1 1/2 hours.
This recipe resembles a mild chili dish, but with a more pronounced barbecue flavor. Tastes great with a piece of freshly baked bread.