Dark Chocolate Cake
I made this cake for someone’s birthday, who loves chocolate and lots of frosting.
I used the Dark Chocolate HERSHEY’S Cocoa for the cake, and made a double batch of the Dark Chocolate frosting.
It was very rich, very dark, and no leftovers.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (or rum extract)
- 1 cup boiling water
- (Single batch)
- 6 Tbs. butter, softened
- 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup HERSHEY”S Cocoa
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (or rum extract)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch, round baking pans.
- In a large mixer bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and extract.
- Beat two minutes on medium speed of electric mixer.
- Stir in boiling water.
- (Batter will be thin)
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally, using a cake leveler.
- Sprinkle each layer with water mixed with a 1/8 tsp. of extract, or sugar, to moisten it.
- Spread the first layer with frosting, cover with the second layer, spread the second layer with frosting, cover with third layer, spread the third layer with frosting, cover with the fourth layer. Now frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate, for the frosting to set.
- Beat butter in a small mixer bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternatively with milk.
- Beat to spreading consistency (add a little more milk if needed).
- Blend in extract.
- Set aside, until cake is ready for frosting.
This is a perfect treat for that someone special on Valentine's Day, or any time.