Hearty Lentil Soup – Recipe
Lentils are very rich in numerous vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Hearty Lentil soup is a perfect comfort food anytime, but it sure hits the spot on cold days.
I will share the list, but for more information I suggest you visit the site where I found 5 reasons for eating lentils:
- Protect Your Digestive System – high in fiber
- Protect Your Heart – significant amount of folate and magnesium
- Stabilize your Blood Sugar – full of complex carbohydrates
- High in Protein – 25%
- Important Minerals and Antioxidants – iron, magnesium, zinc, vitamin A and C
They also mention that those who suffer from gout or kidney problems, should limit, or avoid lentils.
This recipe yields 8-10 servings.
- 1.5 cups of Lentil beans, rinsed and picked over
- 32 oz. Broth, or more if you prefer more liquidy soup (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
- 2 Tbs. canola oil, or butter
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 3 Carrots, shredded on a large eye grater
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Sun-Dried Tomatoes, chopped
- 1.5 cups Dry White Wine
- 1 tsp. Thyme, dried
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Flat Leaf Italian Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Heat oil,or butter, in a large saucepan, and saute onions until translucent.
- Add celery and carrots, and saute until wilted, then add garlic, and saute another minute.
- Use a 6 quart stock pot to heat up the broth.
- Add the sauteed vegetables, bay leaf, Sun-Dried tomatoes, Paprika, Oregano, Cumin, Thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, add lentils, and simmer until lentils are cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Add wine, and simmer couple of minutes.
- Add chopped parsley, and serve.