Marinated Mushrooms – Recipe
Ukrainians looooove mushrooms. They incorporate mushrooms into numerous every day recipes, but especially for their Christmas Eve 12 course meatless meal.
Traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve menu will include mushrooms in Mushroom soup, varenyky filling (pierogi), Holubtsi filling (Cabbage Rolls), Vooshka filling (dumplings which accompany Ukrainian Christmas Borscht), mushroom gravy (referred to as, Machka, in some households), mushrooms with cabbage, and of course marinated mushrooms.
Today I will share my favorite recipe for Marinated Mushrooms, which will be part of our Christmas Eve dinner menu.
This recipe yields 1 mason jar of marinated mushrooms.
- 4 lbs of white mushrooms
- 2 cups of Red Wine Vinegar
- 8 Whole Cloves
- 2 cups of cold water
- 20 Allspice peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 Onion, sliced to rings
- 4 Tbs. Canola or Olive oil
- 1/2 Green Pepper, sliced to strips
- 1-2 mason jars
- In a 3 quart pot, add the vinegar, water,Cloves, Garlic, Allspice, Bay leaves, and salt.
- Bring to boil.
- Trim off the bottoms of mushroom stems, and discard.
- Wash mushrooms under running water to rinse off any soil particles (no need to peel mushroom caps).
- Cut each mushroom into quarters or halves.
- Add mushrooms into boiling marinate, lower heat, and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, remove garlic and discard.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Remove 1 cup of the marinate and add to a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Add the sliced onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool off.
- Once all cooled, fill a mason jar with alternating layers of mushrooms and onions, and place few pieces of green pepper slices for color and additional flavor.
- Top off with oil, to seal it off, and help the marinating process.
- Close the lid on the mason jar, and refrigerate the mushrooms for few days, to achieve the full flavor of the marinate to penetrate the mushrooms and onions.