Mini Apple Pies – Delicious Recipe
These Mini Apple Pies look so adorable, elegant and delicious.
I highly recommend them, as an easy and interesting dessert after a fulfilling meal.
All you need is few basic ingredients for the crust, couple of Granny Smith apples, and you are ready to roll.
I am sure you will absolutely LOVE the deliciousness of these very personal, mini apple pies.
This recipe yields 12 cupcake size mini pies.
- Pie Crust
- 2 cups of flour (I use unbleached)
- 3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks), cold and cubed
- 4 Tbs. ice water
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
- 4 medium apples (Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, etc)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. corn starch
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, cut the cubed butter with flour, using a fork , or pastry blender. You can also work the butter into the flour with your hands, then finish it with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add sugar, and work it in.
- Add ice water, and mix by hand to form a ball of dough.
- Place the finished dough in a sealed plastic bag, and refrigerate for at least an hour, or even over night.
- While the dough is resting in the fridge, prepare the apple filling.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, and cut into two pieces (3/4 and 1/4).
- Place the 3/4 of the dough on a floured sheet of parchment, or waxed paper.
- Place another piece of parchment or waxed paper over the dough.
- Roll out the dough into a very thin (2 millimeters thickness) rectangle.
- Using a round biscuit cutter (4 inch in diameter), cut out 12 rounds.
- Fit the rounds into ungreased cupcake tins, and press them gently to fit the cups.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of each mini pie crust.
- Generously fill each mini pie crust with apple filling.
- Take out the remaining dough from the fridge, and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper to a very think rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut thin strip, to use to construct a lattice design over the top of the apple filling.
- Brush the tops of the pie crusts with egg wash (egg yolk beaten with water), or milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F, for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
- Peel the apples. Remove the seeds and seed nests.
- Dice the apples, and place in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with the white sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, corn starch and flour.
- Toss gently, to coat the apples with dry ingredients.
- Fill cupcake mini crusts.