Tomato Soup – Easy, Simple and Delicious Recipe
If you are craving some delicious tomato soup, but don’t have much time to spend by the stove, this recipe is perfect for you.
Your soup will be done in minutes, and it will be homemade to your taste. You can prepare a small sandwich while the soup is cooking, and your dinner is ready.
This recipe yields 2 quarts (8 cups), which makes 4-6 servings of soup.
- 2 quarts Chicken Broth (Swanson, or your favorite)
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stalk celery, cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oz can of tomato paste (Italian flavored is my favorite)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs. corn starch (flour can be substituted)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. sugar, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup of cooked rice or pasta (optional)
- Pour the chicken broth into a large pot (at least 4 quarts size).
- Add the carrot, celery, onion and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil and cook at least 15 minutes, until the carrot is cooked.
- Scoop out the tomato paste into a medium bowl, add in some of the soup stock, and whisk it to dilute it a little.
- Pour the paste into the soup stock, and bring it to boil.
- Mix the heavy cream with corn starch and mix it into the soup. (If you are using flour, add a little bit of cream into flour to make a creamy mixture without lumps, then add the rest of the cream into it to thin it out. Temper it with some of the hot soup liquid, before mixing it into the soup.)
- Bring to boil, then turn off the heat.
- Remove the onion, bay leaf and celery.
- Add pepper and sugar.
- Add the cooked rice or cooked pasta (I used my leftover cooked rice).
- Mix in the chopped fresh dill.
- Serve hot.