Uzvar – Dried Fruit Drink Recipe
During the summer months when fresh fruits and berries are in abundance I like to cook a fruity drink called Kompot.
At Christmas time I prepare a similar drink called Uzvar (Oozvar), which contains mostly dried fruits and berries, plus a few fresh apples.
Kompot and Uzvar may be sweetened with honey, however, I like to use a packet of Strawberry Jello powder for flavor, sweetness, and color. I serve it warm with Christmas Eve dinner, and my grandchildren love scooping out the cooked fruit first, then drinking up the liquid.
Some people remove the cooked fruit and discard it, serving only the clear liquid, I add about a 1/2 cup of fruit to each serving cup of liquid. You can add more boiled water to the cooked Uzvar if it is too thick or too sweet for your taste.
Uzvar can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for several days.
This recipe yields over 1 gallon of Uzvar.
- Large pot of water (6 quarts)
- 6 oz. dried Apricots, diced
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of prunes (about 8-10 pieces), diced
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 3 apples (I use Golden Delicious, Macintosh, Pink Lady), diced
- 1 packet (3 oz) Strawberry Jello
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Fill a pot with water and bring to boil.
- Add all the dried fruits and simmer for 1.5 hours, semi-covered
- Add the diced apples and cook another 20 minutes.
- Sweeten with Strawberry Jello powder.
- Add more boiled water if too thick or too sweet.
- Cool to warm temperature, and serve in cups with lemon wedges on the side.
One thought on “Uzvar – Dried Fruit Drink Recipe”