Zucchini Rollups – Casserole Recipe with a Mexican Twist
I was looking for a recipe which was easy, tasty and low in carbs, so I came up with a Zucchini Rollups Casserole.
This recipe resembles Stuffed Shells with a Mexican twist, as I used Mild Salsa and Mexican blend shredded cheese, and the pasta was substituted by zucchini slices.
If you prefer the Italian version, all you have to do is to use different cheeses, spaghetti sauce and Italian spices.
You may pair it up with a garden salad to have a scrumptious light lunch or dinner.
It is easy to prepare since you make it casserole style to feed the whole family. This picture represents a small batch, but my recipe yields 16 rollups created from 4 medium size zucchini.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 24 -30 oz Park Skim Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 cup mild salsa, or pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tsp.black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Mexican mixed cheese, or any shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese for topping
- 1 cup mild salsa, or Italian Tomato Sauce
- Wash the zucchini, wipe dry,then cut off the end.and thin layer of two long sides of each zucchini. Set these aside for now
- Slice each zucchini lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and place the zucchini slices side by side.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by mixing together the ricotta cheese, eggs, spices, bread crumbs, parsley,1/2 cup of Mexican mix cheese.and 1/4 cup of salsa.
- Set aside.
- Spread 1 cup of pasta sauce or salsa over the bottom of a medium casserole dish.
- Discard the zucchini ends, but cube the trimmed sides of the zucchini, and sprinkle them over the sauce.
- S[read 1/4 cup of cheese filling over each zucchini slice and roll up gently.
- Stand up each roll in a casserole dish, with the seam toward the edge of the casserole so it does not unroll during baking. In following rows, make the seams lean against the rolls of the previous row.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese over top.
- Cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven, spoon a little bit of pasta sauce over the top of each roll for presentation.
- Serve warm.
If you wish to make these with an Italian flavor, you may use Italian flavor pasta sauce, Italian spices and Colby Jack or cheddar cheese, as part of the filling.
I mixed the leftover cheese filling into the salsa sauce in the casserole, before baking, then scooped a teaspoon of it over the top of each rollup.