Blueberry Cake – European Recipe
Blueberry season is not quite here yet, but frozen blueberries from past season are excellent to use in baking.
Many of my family members enjoy fresh fruit pastries, so I am always trying different recipes to appease their pallets.
Today I will share a recipe for a delicious Blueberry Sheetcake, which can be made with either fresh or frozen fruits.
Since fresh blueberries are out of season right now, hence quite expensive, I used frozen ones I left over from last summer season.
This cake is very simple to make, and the combination of lemon zest and blueberries is absolutely wonderful.
This recipe yields one 9” x 13” inch sheetcake, which is about 12-16 serving pieces.
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup oil (I use Canola)
- 1/3 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups of cake flour, less 2 Tbs. (I used Softasilk)
- 2 tsp. baking powder (aluminium-free)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (not thawed)
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Crisco shortening to grease baking pan
- In a medium mixer bowl, beat eggs with sugar until light and fluffy, and light lemon color.
- Add lemon zest, oil, butter, vanilla and milk, and mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cake flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture, mixing continuously.
- Line a baking pan with greased parchment paper, and pour the batter into the pan.
- Smooth it evenly in the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the top of the batter.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the blueberries.
- Bake in preheated oven, on a middle rack, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool it in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Place a cooling rack over the top of the pan, and gently flip out the cake onto it.
- Peel back the parchment paper and discard.
- Turn the cake over onto a cooling rack, so it rests on its bottom side, to cool completely.
- Cut up to serving pieces, and sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional) before serving.