City Chicken – Recipe and Techinque
I would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with the history behind the name of this dish. Please share with us.
This recipe seems lengthy and complicated, but it is rather simple to prepare, and a great dish for parties, pot luck dinners, picnics, and Super Bowl Parties.
Makes 12-16 servings.
- 4 1/2 lbs boneless pork sirloin chops (or cubed pork for stew)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 4 Tbs butter
- Canola oil for frying
- Bamboo skewers (14-18), soaked in water
- Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes, and place in a large bowl.
- Combine water, vinegar, garlic, 1/2 of the salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over meat cubes, and mix to coat.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
5. Soak the skewers in water for at least 10 minutes, before using.
6. Leaving about 2 inches at the bottom of each skewer, arrange pork cubes on the skewers. I used 5-6 pieces of meat on each skewer, but would recommend only 4, for easier handling. Squeeze cubes together, and pat dry with paper towel. Set aside on a foil lined baking sheet.
7. Prepare egg wash, by beating the eggs with a whisk, until frothy. Set aside
8. Blend bread crumbs with curry powder, and remaining salt and pepper.
9. Roll the skewered pork in bread crumb mixture, to coat evenly.
10. Dip the bread crumb coated pork into egg wash. Drip off any excess liquid.
11. Dip for the second time in the flavored bread crumbs, and squeeze them gently to firm them up, as shown above.
12. Heat the oil in a frying pan until it sizzles, add few pork skewers at a time, and brown lightly on one side.
13. Turn them over, and brown lightly on the other side.
14. Clear off dripping from the frying pan. Add butter, chopped onions, celery and carrots, and saute for 1 minute.
15. Spread the veggies evenly on a foil lined baking sheet.
16. Arrange the city chicken on top of the veggies.
17. Bake in a preheated oven, at 275 degrees F, for about 45-60 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.
18. These may be served hot, or at room temperature.
TIP: This City Chicken is suitable for freezing. It also may be stored in the refrigerator for several days, and
reheated before serving.