Carrot and Banana Dog Treats – Recipe
In case you missed my previous posts, I posted a recipe for the following dog treats:
So, this is only my third post. I would not consider this as “going overboard”, would you?
These Whole Wheat with Carrots and Banana are very healthful treats, also found online, and listed on my Pinterest board titled “TCL for Pets.
Looks can sometimes be deceiving, such as in this case, as these treats turned out looking like chicken tenders, rather than carrot and banana. Don’t you think so?
The batter was too soft to roll out, so I tried my best to spoon it into the bone shaped biscuit cutter.
My daughter’s dog visits me fairly often as well. Her name is Bridgette. She is an American Bulldog, but she is on a diet, so I limit her treats….but I will definitely take some over to her on my next visit.
This recipe yields 40 treats.
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour (I used unbleached white, since I ran out of whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 2 cup fresh carrots, grated
- 2 fresh bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk (I used low fat)
- In a mixing bowl add egg, oil, water and milk.
- Mix to incorporate.
- Mix in mashed banana, and carrots.
- Gradually add flour and oatmeal.
- Mix to form dough.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut out treats (this dough was too soft to roll out, so I used a spoon to fill up a cookie cutter, placed on a greased baking sheet)
- Place treats on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Turn off the heat, but leave the baked good in the oven for another 45 minutes, to crisp up.
- Cool off completely.
- Store in a ziplock bag, enough treats to last one week, and freeze the rest in a freezer bag, to preserve freshness.
Now you have three wonderfully simple recipes for baking fresh "gourmet" treats for your dog, and make him feel special.
You can also make these as Christmas gifts for your family's and friends' pets, and save lots of money.