Carrot Cake – Recipe
This recipe offers cream cheese frosting, which I normally use, but also a cream cheese glaze, for those who are not so fond of frosting.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and shredded (about 10 carrots)
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 Tbs. butter, softened
- 2 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 2/3 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 cake pans.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg, thoroughly in mixer bowl.
- Add oil, carrots, and eggs.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake 1 hr.
- Cool 10 minutes on a cake rack.
- Remove from pan, and cool completely.
- Spread frosting on top of the first cake, cover with the second cake (bottom part up).
- Frost the top and sided of the cake.
- Mix all ingredients, and drizzle over the top of the cake, so that it drips down the sides. Glaze is used instead of frosting, not in addition to frosting.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving.
I saved 3 Tbs. of frosting for decorations, and mixed 2 Tbs. with red and yellow food coloring to make orange frosting for the carrots. Also, 1 Tbs. of frosting mixed with green food coloring, for carrot tops. I used a cake decorating bag,and plain tip, to form the carrots and tops.
If you like a lot of frosting (especially for the middle layer), you need to double the above recipe.